A bit more than a month ago I cut my fingers, pretty deep, so now I lack feeling right above the cuts and from the center of the cut to the fingertip. The transition between normal feeling and no feeling is the same as when your arm or leg is asleep, a bit tingling and weird sensitivity.
Here is a list of a few things that are odd to do when you lack feeling in half your finger:
- When cutting your nails you can’t tell if it’s the nail or the finger itself you’re cutting!
- Move a wet finger over a surface which is usually not slippery and the low friction surprises you as you can’t feel that the finger is wet.
- Move a dry finger over something cold and the finger feels slippery where you cannot feel the cold.
- When scratching your eye coordination is a bit off as you can’t feel where you are scratching with the finger, you notice when you poke your eye though.
- Press hard on any button and you can’t feel on the skin how hard you are pushing it.
- Gripping something heavy between the thumb and that finger and it feels like you only have a good grip with the thumb as you can’t feel the friction on the finger.
- Putting a CD on the finger is an odd sensation. It feels like it should fall off because you can only feel it resting on one side of the finger, even though you see it resting on both!
- When removing a piece of tape from the finger where some parts of the skin cannot feel anything the sensation is that those parts of the skin peeled off with the tape! Even more so if you are not watching it.
Below is a video which includes footage of my poor fingers from shortly after I slipped with the knife to just a few days ago. Beware though, if you did not like the images in the previous post linked in the beginning, you wont like the video. It contains blood and open wounds, so if that does not suit you, do not click play!